Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession that assesses diagnoses & treats disorders of human movement due to physical disabilities, trauma, illness or ageing. Physiotherapy helps patient recover from injury, relive pain, improve muscle strength, joint range and mobility, increase exercise tolerance and improve respiratory function. Physiotherapy can also help in preventing injuries by addressing your specific needs and planning out a treatment regime including SMART goals, and outcomes.
Different fields of physiotherapy are –
- Musculoskeletal/orthopedic physiotherapy
- Sports physiotherapy
- Cardio-respiratory Physiotherapy
- Neurological Rehabilitation (head injury/stroke and neurological cases).
- Pediatrics, child development assessment/therapy
- Gerontology (care of the elderly elderly)
- Chronic Pain management
To consult a Physiotherapist you don’t necessarily need a referral from a medical doctor, as Physiotherapist is first contact practitioners. Medical doctors, Physiotherapist and other health professional often work as a team to plan out and treat specific conditions.