Factors leading to reduced ankle mobility
- Poor calf flexibility
- History of ankle sprain
- High heels – keeps the foot in plantar flexed position
- Joint stiffness/degeneration
- Poor postural habits
Get it checked by a professional to determine factors leading to limited ankle joint range and solution for the same.
Improving ankle mobility
1). Ankle joint mobilization
- Get into a half kneeling position with the targeted ankle in front as the lead leg.
- Keep the knee pointing towards the second toe and not allowing the foot to roll in or out.
- Drive the knee over the foot. Keep repeating this movement by trying to go a bit more every time.
- If there is pain in front of the ankle at the end of range, stop and return to the starting position.
- In the same drill one can also use a belt to further mobilize the ankle joint
2). Foam rolling on calf – Click here
3). Calf Stretches
Stay Fit. Love Life